Welding job in portland (Swan Island)
by John B
May 12, 2010
U.S. Barge LLC is an innovative barge manufacturer based in the Pacific Northwest. From ocean-going to inland barges, we use advanced technology and specialized manufacturing to meet our customer’s needs. Our workforce takes pride in turning out the highest quality barges on the market.
We have a new contract and are in need of CAPABLE, EXPERIENCED AND RELIABLE GRAVEYARD MECHANICS. A Mechanic with US Barge is a highly skilled WELDER FITTER. Be sure to read all the requirements of this position prior to applying.
- Family benefits only 50 dollars a month with a very short waiting period
- Access to local training facilities, so you can keep your welding skills up to date
- 401k with match, Short Term Disability, Life Insurance and EAP
- Union Wages (Local 104 Boilermakers)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: (Must have the ability to perform the essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others.)
- Pass a knowledge test
- Read blue prints, understand needed materials and layout according to plans
- Cut steel within assigned tolerance
- Bevel and scarf as needed
- Groove weld in all positions; flat, horizontal, vertical and overhead for up to 10 hours a day, 5 and 6 days a week
- Fit as needed
- All work performed with minimal distortion
- Work with flux core wire of 1/16th inch
- Work at heights of 20 feet or more, small and/or confined spaces
- Bend, twist, kneel, walk, climb and reach for 1-10 hours per day
- Sit, stand and walk for 1-10 hours per day
- Endure noise, fumes, dust and inclement weather (all weather conditions)
- Able to lift, carry, push and pull up to 75 lbs. throughout the day
Required Skills and Education:
- High School Diploma/GED or 10th grade education with 6 months to 2 years equivalent industrial training and or equivalent industrial experience
- 2 years professional experience as a FITTER-WELDER in addition to related education and training
- Commitment to Safety First initiatives
- Structural welding experience as a FITTER-WELDER
- Ability to pass a knowledge test
- Ability to read blue prints, understand needed materials and layout according to plans (test administered prior to interview)
- Cut steel within assigned tolerance(s) (test administered prior to interview)
- Bevel and scarf as needed (test administered prior to interview)
- MUST BE SKILLED in 3G and 4G (X-Ray tests administered prior to interview)
- Experienced with FCAW and Dual Shield (1/16th)
- Ability to operate and be certified on industrial equipment (crane, forklift, etc.)
The work environment for this job is in a heavy industrial work area that is potentially dangerous and hazardous. This position in addition requires work around fumes, chemicals and unpleasant workspaces.
All welding positions are referred through the Boilermakers 104. Call 360-696-5775 to request a US Barge application.
We welcome qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds.
US Barge is proud to be a Drug Free Workplace and Equal Opportunity Employer.
To learn more about US Barge, and the family of Vigor Industrial companies, check us out on the web at www.usbarge.com.