17-4 to 308 round bar

by capt Brian
(Spring, Valley ,Ca)

I need to weld 17-4 cast stainless to 304 stainless round bar.What is the best process tig,mig,stick.What type of filler rod.The part is thin so heat is critical.Fear of crystallizing the cast.

Thank you.
Caapt Brian


Capt. Brian,

depending on the application, you should be able to tig weld it using 308 filler.

the 17-4 cast wont harden like cast iron hardens from heating and quenching, 17-4 hardens by holding at high temp for a long time ...so dont dwell any longer than you need to.



Return to tig forum.