Weld disimilar metals

by Joe Keaser

I have tig welded 1018 hot rolled steel to 304 stainless steel before but for the life of me I can't remember what filler metal I used. From filler metal mfg's they say 309 but that does not sound like what I used back then.


wtt replies,

309 is fine. 312 is a bit more versatile and not much more expensive.
there are all kinds of all purpose rods with funky names like patriot, supermissile, etc. but a lot of them are 312 stainless steel rods because they just plain work good on lots of different combinations of metals.

Return to tig forum.